Monday, February 4, 2013

HENRY the Mentor Program: Update


Last November, I published a very long post about HENRY-- a new mentoring program I'm launching. I had hoped to exit the barn at a gallop with this project, but got sidelined by some health issues in December. I'm back now and raring to go.

The first mentor dinner will be held on February 24, 2013 from 5 til 7 pm. I have about eight slots left for young folks who want to be a part of the program. There is no cost, and I'm dispensing with my original plan to have an 18 - 25 year old age qualification. I've had some younger students request spots and I'm happy to make the space.

The gist of the program is this-- we will have a series of dinners during which an adult with a career for which they have a true passion will be the guest speaker. Our speaker is free to discuss the nuts and bolts of his/her job, life lessons learned, and any helpful advice acquired along the path, be that from wise elders, professors, mentors, or bumper stickers (or wherever). Attendees will have a chance to ask questions.

The second part of the program-- I will play matchmaker connecting mentees with potential mentors in the Austin community. Once matched, these folks will determine if a single informative lunch is in order or if an ongoing relationship is in the cards.

This is all very organic, and we'll build it as we go. I want a lot of input from the students, since the goal is to serve their needs, so we need to know what those needs are before we decide how best to be useful.

Anyone who wants to register can email me at spike@spikeg.com but here is something VERY IMPORTANT: I want the kids to email me directly, not the parents. Initiative on the part of the mentees is a must. That is the sole cost of admission-- a bit of passion. It's cool if you don't know what you want to do with your life. You can come and explore possibilities. It's also cool if you know exactly what your passion is. We'll all learn from each other.

I am hoping/thinking spots will fill up fast, so please be in touch soon.
Thanks,
Spike

2 comments:

Holly Schroeder said...

This is phenomenal! YAY!

Moxy Jane said...

I am passing this on to my teen! Thank you, Spike!!

Carmen