Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Round Up-- Good Things to See, Do, Hear, Learn



Hey Y'all,
I get a lot of requests to announce events, projects, etc, seeing as I have such a big virtual mouth. Used to be I could post these at my JetBlue Blog (R.I.P.). Now I'm going to, from time-to-time, put some of those announcements here. I can't run them all, but I'll do what I can to help get the word out about readings, projects, classes, etc. Today I have three decidedly non-related things to tell you about.

Central Texas Dachshund Rescue Calendar

The first is about a calendar that is coming out very soon to help support Central Texas Dachshund Rescue. There's a link with a video made by my friend Sue Rostvold, who is a great photographer specializing in dog portraits. Here's a note Sue sent me with info on the calendar:

For the past month or so I have been photographing dogs and designing the 2011 Central Texas Dachshund Rescue calendar. I know that you can't give to every cause. Between saving the polar bears and finding a cure for cancer, it's impossible to support all the great organizations in the world.

I just wanted to share these images and stories in a short video to help spread the word about this small nonprofit run entirely by volunteers. CTDR.org is having financial troubles due to the increasing number of dogs they’ve rescued in recent weeks. I’m trying to raise a few dollars so CTDR can continue helping dachshunds in need.

Watch. Share. Give if you can ... Even a $5 donation would help tremendously.
Because CTDR has no labor costs, your contribution will go directly to provide food, shelter, and medical care for rescued animals.

Here’s the link to the video:

http://verysupercool.com/we-love-rescues/

And here’s a direct link to my fundraising page where you can make a donation to CTDR:

http://firstgiving.com/dollars-for-dachshunds

OOOT

Next up is On Our Own Terms (OOOT) a new training program to teach advocates how to lead others in discussing end-of-life issues. This is put on by Hospice Austin and hosted by my good friend (and Kick Ass Award winner) David Zuniga, a Buddhist monk. You can read more about the program here. “People really need to know what their options are before they’re faced with a crisis so they can make the best decisions for themselves,” said David Zuniga, the program’s outreach coordinator. “We want to give people the confidence and tools to face the end of life on their own terms.” Training begins October 18th and you can email David directly for more information: dzuniga@hospiceaustin.org


BEDPOST CONFESSIONS

And, on a TOTALLY different note from dogs and death... it's about time for another Bedpost Confessions show. Here's info on that:

What could be more fun than a night out in Austin where the evening's motif is one that is often forbidden? BedPost Confessions is an exciting new reading and performance series that aims to unlock the secrets of everyone's favorite taboo... Sex. Erotic writers, hilarious improvisers, sexy dancers and more will assemble monthly at the United States Art Authority to shamelessly tickle Austin's erotic underbelly.
BedPost Confessions is a free event held the second Thursday of each month at 8 PM. Next performance is Thursday, October 14th.


No comments: