Monday, January 10, 2011

Buy a Pillow-- Help Legalize Gay Marriage: It's That Simple!


pillow by Gus Dexheimer

Hey Y'all,
Those of you who attended the Kick Ass Awards last night (thank you) already know about my friend Gus's push to legalize gay marriage through her upcoming Pillow Project Auction. For those of you who missed the awards (forgiven!) and for anyone wanting more info, well that's what I'm here to tell you today.

Gus is preparing for her bat mitzvah and as her act of service she decided to enlist her crafty friends in Austin and Denver to make pillows which she will auction off to raise money to fight to legalize gay marriage. All money raised will go to the American Foundation for Equal rights which is working to overturn Prop 8. At the end of this post, I'll include a note from Gus. But first, here are some details about the event. Even if you can't attend in person, there is already a silent auction happening online, so the bidding has begun. To be part of the online auction, click here.

The live auction takes place on Sunday, January 16, 2011 from 3 - 5 p.m. It will be held at an art studio located at 1211 Ravine Drive. For more details about the auction, you can check out the Facebook Page here.

pillow by Ramona Sever

And now, a word from our wonderful Mistress of Ceremonies, Gus, who offers the following statement:

Hello all! Gus Dexheimer here. Would you like to help me overturn Proposition 8, which is the law that keeps gay marriage illegal in California? If you or any of your friends can’t get married—which is unconstitutional—you might be interested in raising some money for the

American Foundation for Equal Rights, by making a wedding pillow. I will now explain. In February, I will have my Bat Mitzvah for which I am required to do a service project. When I first heard that gay marriage was illegal, I was nine. I was simply appalled. I don’t know how old I was when I learned about gay and lesbian relationships but it was never something to hide in my family. My sister is straight, I am straight, my parents are straight, but that never has and never will matter. So when my Bat Mitzvah rolled around and I had met still more gay and lesbian people, I began to think about what I could do for them.

And so, y'all, I ask you to please step up, help Gus fight the good fight, and bid on a pillow today, or meet me at the auction on Sunday.

Thanks.

1 comment:

Kate Mohler said...

I posted this to my Facebook page in hopes of rallying folks to buy these pillows. They look great!