Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Announcing: Writing Workshops 2010




Hey Y'all,
Okay, I got it all figured out. I'm going to host a pair of writing workshops. These will be known as:

Six Weeks of Tuesdays: What Fresh Hell Is This?

and

Six Weeks of Thursdays: I Just Have to Know

Here's the skinny on how each will work. If you want to register, please email me at spike@spikeg.com asap. I need 10 students per session for that session to make. I will cap it at 20 per session. Location is TBA -- once I have the numbers I will pick a suitable, comfortable venue that will be centrally located. Now, the specifics.

Six Weeks of Tuesdays: What Fresh Hell Is This?
Dates: Sept 28, Oct 5, Oct 12, Oct 19, Oct 26, Nov 2.
Time: 7 - 9 pm
Cost: $200

Who is this for?
This workshop is targeted at those of you who are currently suffering. If you are going through/have gone through a recent divorce or breakup, lost a loved one, lost a job, can't stand your family, and/or are struggling in other ways and would like to find some catharsis through writing (believe me, it works) this session is for you. Please note this is not therapy but it will be therapeutic. Attendees will receive a complimentary copy of Stricken: The 5,000 Stages of Grief, which I conceived, co-edited, and contributed to.

What will we do?
We will swiftly get to the heart of what is eating you. I'll lead you with assignments which you will work on in class and at home. Yes, there will be some sharing out loud. No, this will not be mandatory.

Six Weeks of Thursdays: I Just Have to Know
Dates: Sept 30, Oct 7, Oct 14, Oct 21, Oct 28, Nov 4
Time: 7 - 9 pm
Cost: $200

Who is this for?
This is for those of you who are either currently working on first person/memoir/blogs or who keep meaning to commit yourself to getting your ass in the chair because you just have to know-- can you do it? Can you write in a sustained fashion? And really, do you even want to? You won't know until you try. The focus here is broader than the Tuesday sessions. It is for non-fiction writers. If you are a fiction writer working on autobiographical stuff and think you might benefit, shoot me an email and we can discuss.

What will we do?
We are going to work on cutting through the shit and really writing what matters, finding your realest of real voices, and learning how not to give in to all those thoughts that keep stalling you out. I'll lead you with assignments which you will work on in class and at home. Yes, there will be some sharing out loud. No, this will not be mandatory.

But Wait, There's More...
If enough participants are interested, I would be totally up for hosting a public reading at some fabulous venue. You might recall I hosted the Dick Monologues for two wonderful years-- this show was a collection of from-the-heart writing written and read by passionate people from all walks. I'd love to get a new set of monologues going. And no, participating in a public reading will not be required. I'm just saying, if enough folks want to, yes, I'll make it happen.

Finally-- Please Be Advised
Though certainly the topic of publishing will arise in the workshops-- it always does-- the primary purpose of these sessions is to write-- for self-exploration, healing, self-challenge, and the pure exhilarating fun of it. I cannot hook you up with an agent, or editors, or any of that. I can help you dig deep.

For questions or to sign up, please email spike@spikeg.com. And I sure would appreciate you helping me to spread the word.

Thanks,
Spike



No comments: